Search This Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Having Fun in the Dark


The first night of the Gemini meteor shower was really nice to watch. However, catching a falling star with the camera proved to be like chasing a fleeting shaft of light thousands of miles away. It's literally a shot in the dark. I did manage to capture a couple of faint trails, but not the bright streaks that my eyes saw.

On Thursday night, I decided to try something a little different. First I set up the camera in a different spot where more of the sky was visible.  I wanted to do some test shots before I set the camera for continuous shooting. After a few shots of the new moon at sunset, I waited until the sky got nice and dark.  

 
What ended up happening was not part of the original plan. A plume of smoke from a nearby fire began creeping in from the right of the scene. It was too dark for the smoke to show up in the picture until I shined the flashlight on it. Then look at what happen:





I turned the camera in the direction of the smoke and painted it, along with the trees in the background, with a flashlight.




The second starlight show turned into a painting with light experiment. I had fun standing in a dark field with the flashlight pointing it at the trees and pressing the shutter button. More practice is needed to get better results, but hey, it's a great way to spend an evening doing it in the dark.

See Errors? Report them to me

All images and content are Copyrighted © Kelvin Taylor
 








`Kt

Light is the first element of creation

No comments:

Share It!

About Me

My photo
North Carolina, United States

Follow by Email